REFERENCE NUMBER: TIK/SY/002/2019
DESCRIPTION: Illustrators on School Land Grabbing
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION: 28th October 2019
Brief on the Shule Yangu Alliance Campaign
The ShuleYangu Alliance Campaign is a national network of like-minded stakeholders from civic, government and private sector working to ensure protection of public schools against illegal land-grabs; support the Government to issue title-deeds to public schools and support communities to own their schools. The Shule Yangu Alliance secretariat is hosted by one of its partners, Transparency International Kenya (TI-Kenya); a premier anti-corruption and good governance organization founded in 1999, and part of the global movement against corruption.
As part of the efforts aimed at ensuring the protection of public schools at risk, Shule Yangu Campaign, through the Inter- Ministerial Legal Working Group (IMLWG) on school titling, which brings together its partners such as the National Land Commission (NLC), Ministry of Education (MoE), the Ministry of Lands & Physical Planning (MoLLP), Transparency International Kenya (TI-Kenya) and East African Centre for Human Rights (EACHRights) developed a public land defenders handbook, which is aimed at creating awareness among school heads, the media, public defenders and citizens around the issues of land administration, the process of protecting schools as well as the avenues of reporting land grabbing.
Drawn by the need to improve the usability of the handbook, Shule Yangu Campaign is seeking to engage an illustrator for a short-term period, who among other tools, will use cartoons and other easily understandable graphics for the benefit of the users intended by the handbook.
The specific tasks of the developer will include;
- Design of cartoon caricatures depicting school land grabbing and its impact, the power of civilian oversight and the process of acquiring a school’s title deed among other related issues
- Development of other simple, citizen-friendly graphics within the handbook, in line with the various sectional headings.
- Development of illustrations that align to the communication in the handbook.
Design and development of 10 cartoon caricatures that aid in communicating the overall message in the handbook that includes but not limited to the following key issues; depicting school land grabbing and its impact, the power of civilian oversight and the process of acquiring a school’s title deed among other related issues.
The developer will be expected to carry out the assignment within 10 days from the date of signing the contract. The substantive work is expected to start on 31st October 2019.
- Demonstrable knowledge and solid experience of similar work related to this assignment
- Outstanding graphic design skills
- At least 3 years of experience in art development and graphic design
Qualified candidate should submit their expressions of interest, limited to 3 pages (max) including the following:
- Portfolio of their previous relevant experience;
- A financial bid containing time and cost estimate for delivery of the above-described services
- Contact information of at least two independent referees with proven knowledge of the applicant’s expertise and relevant work experience.
This call for Expression of Interest does not constitute a solicitation and TI-Kenya, on behalf of Shule Yangu Alliance Campaign reserves the right to change or cancel the requirement at any time during the EOI process. TI-Kenya also reserves the right to require compliance with additional conditions as and when issuing the final solicitation documents. Submitting a reply to a call for EOI does not automatically guarantee receipt of the solicitation documents when issued. Invitations to bid or requests for proposals will be issued in accordance with TI-Kenya rules and procedures. Any grievances and or complaints arising from the evaluation process and final tender award can be addressed, in writing, to the Executive Director as wells as the TI-Kenya Tender Complaints Committee.
Submission of bids
The deadline for submission of expressions of interest is 28th October 2019.
Applications should be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate TIK/SY/002/2019–Illustrators on School Land Grabbing the subject line in your email application.